- Benedictine College
- Undergraduate Programs
- Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Exercise Science
- Journalism & Mass Communications
- Mathematics & Computer Science
- World & Classical Languages and Cultures
- Physics & Astronomy
- Political Science
- Psychological Sciences
- Sociology & Criminology
- Theatre & Dance
- Graduate Programs
- International Education
- Programs of Distinction
- Student Success Center
- Center for Service-Learning
- Great Books
- Course Catalog
- Century of Science
- Undergraduate Programs
- Faith Life
- Student Life
Effective July 1, 2015
Benedictine College is a Tobacco-Free Campus
This policy applies equally to all employees, board members, students, volunteers, vendors, contractors, and visitors. Benedictine College is committed to providing a safe and healthy living/learning/working environment. The College further recognizes that environmental tobacco smoke has been classified as a potential carcinogen. In light of these health risks, and in support of a safe and healthy living/learning/working environment, the following restrictions will be effective beginning July 1, 2015.
- Benedictine College is a Tobacco-Free Campus and the use of tobacco will not be permitted except as specifically stated under this policy.
- This policy applies to all forms of tobacco products including, but not limited to, cigarettes, pipes, cigars, chewing tobacco, water pipes, and snuff as well as smokeless electronic cigarettes and other similar devices.
- Tobacco use is prohibited inside and outside of all buildings, vehicles, sidewalks, streets, parking lots, and the general seating area of outdoor venues on, or adjacent to, campus.
- Tobacco use is prohibited on St. Benedict’s Abbey grounds, St. Benedict Catholic Church property, and St. Benedict Catholic School property.
Compliance. All members of the Benedictine College community shall be responsible for compliance with this policy. It is expected that all faculty, staff, students, contractors, and visitors will voluntarily comply with the spirit and intent of this policy. Violation of this policy may be regarded as a willful safety violation.
Enforcement of Policy. The success of this policy will depend on the thoughtfulness, consideration and cooperation of both tobacco users and non-users. Fines and citations will be part of the basic enforcement of this policy. In addition, the discipline policies applicable to students, faculty, and staff may be invoked, if necessary, to secure compliance with this policy. Violations of this policy will be enforced in the following manner:
Violations of this policy by faculty and staff should be brought to the attention of the employee’s supervisor and/or Human Resources, as appropriate. Any violation of this policy may result in disciplinary action, up to and including separation of service.
- Violations of this policy by students should be brought to the attention of the Student Life Office. Any violation of this policy may result in disciplinary action, up to and including verbal warning(s), written warning(s) with fines ($25, $50, and $100 consecutively).
- Violations of this policy by visitors should be brought to the attention of Security.
- Violations of this policy by contractors should be brought to the attention of the department for whom the contractor is working or Operations, as appropriate.
Exceptions to the policy. Occasional events sponsored by Benedictine College, which include tobacco use as a reason for gathering and building of community, must be approved by the President’s Cabinet.
Smoking Cessation Support. Understanding the addictive nature of tobacco products, Benedictine College will make every effort to assist those who may wish to stop using tobacco products. Students are encouraged to contact the Student Life Office for information about smoking cessation programs. Faculty and Staff are encouraged to contact Human Resources for information about smoking cessation resources.
Notice to Faculty, Staff, Students and Visitors. The Operations Department will be responsible for providing appropriate signage communicating the move to a Tobacco-free campus.
Notice to Contractors. The department for whom a contractor is working will be responsible for ensuring that contractors performing work for their department on property owned or leased by the College are notified of the requirements of this policy. Construction contractors will be notified by Operations.
Notice to Faculty and Staff. Human Resources will be responsible for implementing procedures to ensure that all current and future faculty and staff are notified of the requirements of this policy.
Notice to Students. The Student Life Office will be responsible for implementing procedures to ensure that all current and future students are notified of the requirements of this policy.