International Students - Maintaining Your Status

As an F-1 or J-1 student at Benedictine College, it is important to always be in status. In order to maintain your visa status, please follow these guidelines:

Report to the School in a Timely Manner

As an F-1 and J-1, you must report to Benedictine College at the start of each Spring and Fall semester. If you are not enrolled full time AND present at the school at the start of each Spring and Fall semester, your student visa status will end.

Be a Full-time Student

The primary purpose of your visit to the United States is education. Being a full-time student (spring & fall semesters) is an important part of maintaining your student visa status. For undergraduate students, this means a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester. For graduate students, this means a minimum of 6 credit hours each semester. Do NOT drop below the minimum required credit hours without written permission from the Center for International Education.

Remain in Good Academic Standing

It is important that you ensure you remain in good academic standing with the school. Students that are academically suspended from the school will not be able to enroll in future terms. If you are unable to enroll in future terms due to academic suspension, you will fall out of status. Also note: If you are eligible to receive any scholarships, it is important that you maintain the GPA required to continue to receive those scholarships.

Do Not Work Off-Campus

As an F-1 or J-1 student, you are permitted to work on campus for 20 hours per week during spring and fall semesters. You can work on campus up to 40 hours per week during the winter break, spring break and summer semester.

You are NOT permitted to work off campus without prior authorization from the Center for International Education OR the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS).

Report Address Changes

Department of Homeland Security requires all international students on student visa to update their school with their current address (AND update any changes to this address within 10 days of the change). If you move off campus, please email with your new address information.

Maintain All Required Documents

  • Do not allow your FORM 1-20 and/or DS2019 to expire: You must NOT allow your Form I-20 (F-1) or DS2019 (J-1) to expire. Allowing these documents to expire will automatically end your student visa status in the United States. Contact your International Advisor if you need an extension to the program end date listed on your document.
  • Do not allow your passport to expire: You must NOT allow your passport to expire. You should contact your Embassy in the United States and start the process to renew your passport.

Get a travel signature if you plan to travel abroad

Please make sure you get your Form I-20 or Form DS2019 signed every time you travel outside the United States. Also ensure that all your immigration documents (Form I-20/DS2019, passport and visa) are valid for return.

For any questions, please contact your International Advisor in the Center for International Education,