International Education - Employment Opportunities

International students, in good standing, are eligible for some types of employment

Types of Employment


International students may work on-campus while classes are in session; you may work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week. During breaks and holidays, you may work up to a maximum of 40 hours per week. Due to the competition for on-campus jobs, we cannot guarantee that any International or Domestic student will get a job. Students can apply for on campus jobs through their Ravenzone account under Work-Study. Once a student has secured an on-campus job, they will need to apply for a Social Security Number and meet with the International Office.


In some cases, you may be authorized to work off-campus. You must have written authorization from U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) prior to obtaining employment. For more information, see below.

CPT (Curricular Practical Training)

This allows you to work on-or-off campus in an internship related to your field of study. Contact your academic advisor to find out if you can do an internship for college credit. You must be an F-1 student for one school year before you apply, unless your graduate program requires immediate CPT. You may work full-time or part-time.

  1. Must be registered for an internship course that will appear on transcript. Course may be credit-bearing.
  2. Employment must be related to academic area of study listed on current I-20.
  3. Requires authorization from International Advisor.
  4. NO fee required except tuition costs for internship credit.
  5. Must complete and submit CPT Application to the Center for International Education.

OPT (Optional Practical Training)

Optional Practical Training, or OPT, is an employment benefit for F-1 student status that is generally used after graduation. For more details on OPT please schedule a meeting with your International Advisor.

  1. Employment must be related to academic area of study, and must be full-time (at least 21 hours per week).
  2. Requires prior authorization from USCIS and you must have received your Employment Authorization Card before beginning work.
  3. Must complete Form I-765 for USCIS, and receive a new I-20 from the Center for International Education.
  4. Fee is required (Approximately $410).

Severe Economic Hardship

Benefit available to international students in F-1 status after 1 year. Employment need not be related to academic area of studies.

  1. Must be able to demonstrate financial need and a change of financial situation since initial I-20.
  2. Requires notification and clearance from International Advisor and authorization from USCIS.
  3. Must complete form I-765 for USCIS. Application requirement includes written statement by student indicating reasons for request and documents supporting those reasons (i.e. bank statements, affidavits, sponsorship letters, etc.).
  4. Fee is required (Approximately $410).