Residence Hall Director - St Martins Memorial Hall
JOB STATUS: Full-time
WORK SCHEDULE: Flexible work schedule with on-call responsibilities.
- Participate in staff orientation, in-service training, and staff meetings. Be thoroughly familiar with the Residence Life Handbook, Student Handbook and other publications as directed by the Director of Residence Life.
- Supervise the student staff. Make performance expectations clear. Provide supervision, guidance, and evaluation for the resident assistants (RAs) and student workers the RD supervises. Build a rapport with staff so that they will turn to the RD with questions, problems and concerns. Hold meetings on a weekly basis and promote a team concept among the RA staff. Provide advice and support to RAs dealing with potential or actual problem situations.
- Be visible and available to residents. Be friendly, open and a role model to students. Encourage students to come to the RD with questions, problems and concerns. Treat all students with respect.
- Encourage students and RA's to initiate, plan and carry out social, spiritual, educational and intramural activities. Advise student leaders. Work with students in creating a positive tone in the residence halls.
- Help students become aware of the College's mission and expectations of them as expressed in the Student Handbook and other printed sources. Encourage students to behave responsibly. Guide students in their quest for character to the highest standards based upon BC’s Benedictine tradition and the beliefs of the Catholic Church. Respond to unacceptable behavior whenever and wherever the RD becomes aware of it in a consistent professional manner. Provide counseling to students who are involved in problem situations.
- Fulfill the structured requirements of the position. Submit reports that are timely and complete. Be on duty when assigned and to fulfill all responsibilities while on duty.
- Coordinate with the Operations, Housekeeping, and the Director of Residence Life in matters of inventory, housekeeping, and maintenance.
- Communicate with the Director of Residence Life concerning all aspects of the position and all development in the RD’s area of responsibility. Share ideas, questions, problems, and concerns with the Director of Residence Life. Assist the Director of Residence Life in resident assistant selection and training.
- Be aware of the services available for the various guest groups that use the residence hall.
- Supervise the services provided for the various guest groups that use the residence hall.
- Act and dress as a professional member of the Student Life Office.
- Cooperate with Campus Ministry to promote the spiritual growth of students housed in the hall.
- Promote activity in accordance with the policies of the college as published in the Student Handbook, the RA Handbook, the Benedictine College Catalog, and other official college documents. Avoid enterprise and activity that may, in the judgment of the college, interfere with the faithful, adequate and proper performance of your duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Residence Life.
- Understanding and acceptance of Catholic and Benedictine values
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing programs
- Thorough knowledge of higher education student development, risk management and legal issues
- Ability to relate effectively with students, parents, faculty and staff
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills as well as proven administrative and organizational skills
- Computer skills including word processing, e-mail and database software
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least one year of related experience