Cathedral provides high school students with an opportunity to participate in Benedictine College’s 2nd Catholic Education Rally. This week long intensive summer program is held on Benedictine College’s beautiful campus in Atchison, KS. Participants will receive the opportunity to grow socially, spiritually and academically through ten structured lessons in four fields of study. Classes will be taught by Benedictine College professors who are passionate about sharing their specialized knowledge as servants of the Catholic Church.
- WHO: High School Students (rising freshmen to graduating seniors)
- WHEN: June 16-21st, 2013
- WHERE: Benedictine College, Atchison, KS
- WHY: Have you ever wanted to do something big? Do you want to create authentic Catholic Culture? Come join in purposeful discussion with talented students with varying academic passions to challenge the way you think, to grow in friendship, and rekindle your love for the Lord.
- COST: $500 per participant which includes all lodging, meals, and events. A $75 per person non-refundable, non-transferable deposit is required at the time of registration.
- CHECK IN: Sunday, June 16th , 4-5 pm
- CHECK OUT: Friday, June 21st , 1:30 pm
Sunday, June 16
- Check in begins at 4pm
- Evening Activity
- Social & Fellowship
Monday, June 17 – Thursday June 20
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- Two (2) Academic sessions
- Bible Study
- Study & Down Time
- Evening Activity
- Social & Fellowship
Friday, June 21
- Concluding session
- Dedication Banquet
- Checkout begins at 1:30 pm
- Literature: Telling the story of who we are and who we are called to be.
- Philosophy (Ethics): How do our choices build who we are?
- Theology: The overarching architecture of Salvation History: the Covenant.
- Science and Engineering: Building structure that endures the tests of time.
Building the Cathedral
Intro: Be careful how you build… (Cf 1 Co 3:10)
- What does it mean to build a Catholic culture?
- What role do you have in the Cathedral of the 21st century?
- Theology: God’s story: The Covenantal vision of Salvation History
- Engineering: Building up the outside, understanding the laws of the natural world.
- Ethics: Building up the inside, how our actions shape worldview.
Buttresses and Baldachins:
- Literature: How our Cathedral tells the story of our origin and destiny.
Conclusion: Be built like living stones into a spiritual house... (Cf 1 Peter 2:5)
INSTRUCTOR: Dr. Edward Mulholland
Dr. Edward Mulholland was born in the Bronx, New York. He earned his master’s degree in classics from the University of London, England, and received both a licentiate and a Ph.D. in philosophy from the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome. Dr. Mulholland was the first director of NCE (formerly known as American Consultants for Education, ACE) in 1995. From 1996-1998 he served as the head of the Humanities Department and the dean of the Journalism School at the Centro Universitario Francisco de Vitoria in Madrid, Spain. From 1998-2005, he was Professor of Philosophy at Our Lady of Thornwood Education and Training Center in Thornwood, New York and Professor of Classical Languages at the Center of Humanities in Cheshire, Connecticut. Her served as Chair of Catholic Formation at Pinecrest Academy in Cumming, GA from 2005-2011, and is currently Asst. Professor of Classical and Modern languages at Benedictine College in Atchison, KS, where he lives with his bride Valerie and their six children.
What does CATHEDRAL stand for? Cathedral stands for Catholic Education Rally. In history, the cathedral was understood as more than a work of art, it was a symbol of the stability and faithfulness of the people and their knowledge and love for the Lord. We want to discuss the question, “what does it mean to build a 21st century Cathedral for Christ?”
What is the Dedication Banquet? Do I have to dress up? This event is a celebration of the conclusion of your week at BC CATHEDRAL. We are excited to celebrate your accomplishments. Please bring a nice outfit to wear to this event. Business Casual is recommended.
Additional Questions? Please contact Cassie Goodman at email@example.com Phone: 913-360-7655
Have more questions? Click here to learn more!