Health, Wellness & Exercise Science
The objectives of the department are as follows:
- The professional preparation of skilled teachers of physical education and health, as well as qualified persons in the allied areas of coaching, athletic training and the fields of leisure and sports management;
- Preparation for the student to pursue graduate studies;
- The opportunity for the student to experience both the learning of theory and the discovery of application through practical extracurricular experiences;
- The oppurtunity for certification in first aid, CPR, lifeguard training and water safety instruction;
- Wholesome health and fitness attitudes and knowledge for all students so that they may have the opportunity to discover and to choose healthy lifestyles.
MAJORS AND MINORS
Benedictine College offers an Athletic Training major as well as a major and minor in Physical Education.
Careers in the field include certified athletic trainer, personal trainer, coach, and physical education/health teacher.
CAMPUS ORGANIZATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
Student Athletic Trainers Club
Mary Flynn, Instructor and Chair
Lanny Leroy, Director of Athletic Traning and Instructor
Dennis Murphy, Instructor
Jon Stammers, Assistant Professor
Patrick Hodapp, Adjunct Instructor
Angela Humburg, Adjunct Instructor
Kylei Mason, Adjunct Instructor
Sharon Mathis, Professor Emerita
Crystal Sanders, Power Fitness Yoga Instructor
Natalie Snead, Aquatics Instuctor
For more information, please email Mary Flynn or call 913.360.7603.