Request I-20 and Apply for Visa
REQUEST AN I-20
International students attend Benedictine College on F-1 student visas. The Center for International Education issues I-20s, which students use to apply for their visas. We are generally able to issue an I-20 within two weeks of receiving all the following documents:
- All documents necessary for freshman, transfer or one-year-exchange admission.
- Copy of your passport picture page.
- $250 U.S. enrollment fee. Pay your enrollment fee here.
- Letter of understanding (Students receive this with their acceptance letter.)
- Please request a SEVIS transfer form from Anne Faucett if you will be transferring from another U.S. school.
Applying for my F-1 Student Visa
Make sure you contact the U.S. Embassy in your country to find out exactly what you need. Sometimes these additional documents are required: proof of English skills, previous school records, and additional evidence that proves you are still interested in returning to your home country after your education. You will also have to pay an application fee and be interviewed. Be prepared to submit the following documents:
- DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form
- A passport valid for at least 6 months beyond your intended period of stay in the U.S.
- Your Form 1-20 issued by Benedictine College
- Your SEVIS I-901 Fee Receipt
- Receipt for the visa application fee
- School acceptance letter
- Financial evidence that shows you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during your expected period of stay.
- Two 2” x 2” photographs in the prescribed format (see www.travel.state.gov for photo requirements)
- Any information that proves that you will return to your home country after finishing your studies in the United States. This may include proof of property, family, or other ties to your community.
In the Visa interview
Remain calm and answer all of the Visa Officer's questions openly and honestly. Review our Ten Points to Remember for tips and suggestions.