BISHOP FINK HALL
Bishop Fink is one of the original buildings on campus, built in 1878. It was named for the first Bishop of the Diocese of Leavenworth, the Benedictine Bishop Louis Fink. The building contains a very extensive music library, art studios, practice rooms, classrooms and faculty offices.
Prior Louis Mary Fink
Right Reverend Louis Mary (Michael) Fink, O.S.B., was born in Triftersberg, Bavaria, July 12, 1834, professed vows on January 6, 1854, and was ordained May 28, 1857.
Fink took over the administration of the Priory at St. Benedict’s (and thus the college) in June 18, 1868. He reopened the College that fall as it had been closed the previous year due to focus on completion of the original abbey and lack of funding. He and many Brother candidates undertook serious farming in order to cut down on the cost of expansion. His attempts to pay off the community’s debt were made difficult by the deflation following the Civil War. Fink ended his priory when he was consecrated coadjutor to Bishop Miege on June 11, 1871.
Louis Mary Fink was the only monk of St. Benedict’s to become a bishop. He was named the first bishop of the Diocese of Leavenworth on May 22, 1877. In times of hardship, such as the year of grasshoppers and drought, Bishop Fink begged for his people. His greatest task, however, was preventing the Catholic immigrants from scattering so widely that they could not be organized into viable parish groups. For this purpose he organized and aided Catholic colonies.
Bishop Fink died March 17, 1904. His years of service are remembered today on the Benedictine campus as Bishop Fink Hall (home of the education, art, music, and business departments) stands in his honor.